Monday, May 31, 2010

cari versus catalina

In my life, I try not to focus on the negative and so I thought I would leave out this trip altogether. Instead, I decided I will say what I have learned and am now consciously thankful for after my weekend camping adventure on Catalina Island.

First. If you don’t know, I have a fear of water. Not of pools (I was a lifeguard for 8 years, that would be inappropriate) but of water which is home to creatures that can sting me, bite me, snap at me (darn turtle) or eat me. Water where I can not see the bottom or the shore/ending point - I have never been in one of those “forever pools” but I think I would be okay. Water that has currents, whether its the mighty one in the Missouri or a Rip current – let us also add white-capped waves in this category as well.

In conclusion, the entire idea of this trip terrified me.

So….. because Kortney is a dear friend, I decided to accept the invitation to her 31st birthday party on Catalina Island, 30 miles off the California shore. The plan was to take her boyfriend's boat on a two hour tour and camp on our very own private beach…..

~ ~ ~

I am thankful for ferry boats. Ferry boats are large boats that only allow the appropriate number of people to board. The motors of these boats are dependable, inspected on a regular basis and would not just stop running halfway through the journey to their destination. These motors also have the appropriate horse power to get the passengers to the island in a timely manner. A ferry can go faster than 7 miles per hour. I also believe ferry boats, or at least the kind I am thankful for, do not allow binge drinking or let passengers who may be intoxicated board.

In the event the ferry is not an option, I am thankful for starter fluid. This allows a boat to start under less than perfect conditions after it dies in the middle of the ocean. Starter fluid also comes in handy to start the motor for the return trip home. I am even more thankful for starter fluid when it is purchased in packs of two,  so when one is empty, no one needs to swim a mile each way in the ocean to go find another can.

I am thankful for men who respect women. Men who would never just sit back and smoke cigarettes and drink beers while women were doing heavy lifting, hauling and loading. Men who do not call women bad names and who do not talk about their genitals at length (I do apologize that I even have to mention this, but I am thankful for it).

I am thankful for thermarests. Thermarests are thin, blow up mattresses that a person takes camping with them. A thermarest would have come in very handy if I knew we were to be sleeping on rocks instead of sand. 

I am thankful for Fourth of July Fireworks shows. These events are done in a safe manner at an appropriate distance from spectators. People do not normally get shot in the face with fireworks because they are not sitting within arms distance away.

I am thankful for my music. I found that with music, I can turn my beat around and my frown upside down. I am thankful for Coors Light (in moderation) as it also helped with my beat. 

I am thankful for the ocean. However frightened I am of it, it is a big, beautiful thing. I spent the entire weekend staring at it and not everyone has that view at their fingertips.

I am thankful for my friends. This is not a new discovery but only a reinforced one. I have been blessed with meeting many amazing people early on in my life and also during my extended stay in Utah. These friends are quality, caring, generous, thoughtful, funny and just all around good people. They work hard and they play hard. I love them and I miss them dearly. 

I am thankful for my mother, who let me call her after this traumatizing episode and cry my eyes out. I was relieved to hear her voice, glad she could assure me it was over and that I had learned something from this experience. I am thankful she might have even let me swear a little. One thing I will not be thankful for, puffy eyes after crying… its bad. If you care about me, please don’t make me cry.

I am fortunate that things that don’t kill you, make you stronger.
I am thankful I am stronger.

3 comments:

lizzie said...

well well well....

i'm thankful you're alive :) and thankful for your thankfulness in blog posts. :)

Sarah said...

And I'm thankful my habits of saying curse words hasn't rubbed off on you.

Couldn't live without you keeping the beat so it's a really good thing you're alive. :)

Bridget J said...

Oh Cari...after what you've said I can only imagine a horrific episode at sea.

I'm glad you are able to turn your frown upside down at times most people couldn't even think about it.

Miss you lady xoxo

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr