This weekend our friends invited us down to Newport Beach for a rowing competition for the boys. Allie recently joined the Imua Outrigger Canoe Club (http://www.imuaocc.com/) so she was their fearless leader. The club races are a bit different than the sprints the boys were going to do. Her team is rowing to Catalina Island in September. That is 30 miles away (I know first hand where Catalina is)!! I would love to join a club like it but they practice on the week days. Boo!
First stop, photo booth…
The boys got some tips from Allie.. Use your whole body. Timing is everything. Sharp downward thrusts. Stop at the hip. Short and quick at the start.
Hut! Hike! Ho! (switch sides).
Hut! Hike! Ho! (switch sides).
And they were off!!!
Heat One – Second Place.. They were up against a boat of HUGE men that are paddle boarders – not the same paddle, but paddlers none the less.
We hung out in the sun for a few hours, planning strategies and waiting for the next round.
This was it – this was their last chance.
AND...............
But Number 2 out of all of the teams for the day.
Not too bad for a bunch of newbies.
Not too bad for a bunch of newbies.
Allie and I with our Champions!
Then it was my turn for a challenge. Since moving here, I have always wanted to try the stand up paddle board, but of course, the whole fear of water thing always gets in the way, plus I don’t know anyone who owns a board.
I was about to back out, I really didn’t want to go but I really wanted to go.
Tom made me go.
Visualizing Success (aka – do NOT fall over)
Steady, steady… do not look at your feet.
AND paddle!
Look at Tom.
Smile at Tom.
Thanks Tom.












0 comments:
Post a Comment